Saturday 6 January 2018

why i am not making new years resolutions

Happy New Year Everyone!

I hope that you are all settling well into January, I must say I have found it difficult getting back into a routine, considering all the time I've had off over the festive period.

Today I am talking about New Years resolutions. Last year I made some, you can watch them here, if you are interested to hear about the resolutions I had set out for myself.
However, I actually cannot tell you what those resolutions are, unless I head over and also watch that video myself. Of course, naturally I had to watch it over, and review whether or not I had been successful in achieving the resolutions I had set out for myself, at the beginning of the year.

Sadly, I did not achieve them all, some of which are difficult to measure "getting fit" am I fit? Was that achieved? I honestly have no idea.
Looking back over these previous resolutions got me thinking, why do we make them? Is it to try and change our behaviour and adopt that 'New Year, New Me' style? Possibly, December can be somewhat a heavy month, full of festivities, and the thought of looking back over the year and heading into another with the same behaviours or routines can seem frustrating for some.
I think we have all felt that pressure of feeling the need to change along with the New Year. But is it really about us changing? Surely not, it should be about striving to be the best we can be, given the circumstances life throws at us, naturally our paths can become a little unbalanced. Yet by setting unrealistic targets and expectations can lead us feeling depressed and negative, because we get to the end of the year, and realise those targets have been unmet.


This is the exact reason I have decided not to make any New Year resolutions. I shouldn't be resolving anything in my life, I should mererly be growing and evolving with the years, I make mistakes along the way, but that is natural, I do not need the added pressure of adopting resolutions, which can set me up to fail.
I felt depressed and negative after realsing that I had not met my 2017 goals, however, I am striving to become happier and more positive, and well lets face it, realising goals in my life have not been set is not going to help me feel in any way positive.

Instead of setting myself goals, there are things I would like to do, however, if I don't always achieve them, then that is okay. Life is about learning, and being kind to ourselves, and if it's one thing I have learnt then it is, for me, New Years resolutions feeds into my negative thoughts of feeling as though I have not achieved something. This is something I am working hard to move away from, hence my personal reasons for not creating any resolutions this year.


Have you made any New years resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I read and appreciate every single one. x